So, moment of honesty: I have been struggling. Food has been looking extra - delicious lately and I have succumb once or twice to the tantalizing call of the fresh peach shake or yielded to the enticings of a frozen yogurt with extra sprinkles. Its the trenches out their people and food, unfortunately, is winning.
Three recent developments will hopefully help to change my current course.
THING A.) The Democratic National Convention is currently underway, and the effort I put into being disgusted with their platform mixed with my newly revitalized patriotism and gumption towards the republican party have surely been a calorie expenditure.
THING B.) Jillian Michaels is returning to the Biggest Loser for the season 14 featuring only teens. Nothing says "extra motivation" like having Jillian Michaels work out fattie teens in my living room.
("fattie teen" is a scientific term, and a label I myself wore proudly).
THING C.) I had a horrible idea
A few days ago I thought it would be a personal victory to run for a long time without stopping. I thought... "self, I can run 3 miles... so naturally I can run 10 more than 3 miles no problem."
And so it became reality that I signed myself up for a half marathon. It was this morning while I was struggling to run two miles that I came to the conclusion that this might be a mistake.
This is a mistake for at least five reasons:
1.) I can run 6 miles tops, and that is ONLY if a rabid dog is chasing me for 3 of those miles.
2.) The race is the last weekend in October, in high elevation, at 5 in the morning... I'm going to FREEZE my cheeks off (not my facial cheeks).
3.) We are supposed to be in costume... so there is a 60% chance I'm going to die dressed as Paula Dean
4.) I've never participated in even a 5K race.
5.) I don't have enough songs on my ipod that make me want to move.
So there you have it... I may find more success with losing weight out of sheer fear of embarrassing myself at this half marathon... WHAT WAS I THINKING?? Time to put on my big girl tights and get to work I guess.

WOOO HOOOO! Adventurrreeee!! You'll make it. :) Now I can't stop thinking about what I would wear if everyone was supposed to wear costumes and I was going to die...
ReplyDeleteIf you can run three miles, six weeks is plenty. I'd recommend doing your normal workout during the week, then on Saturday, do your long run-- increasing by two miles each week, then taper the week prior. You'll be good. It's your first race, so focus on finishing, not killing yourself. They won't mean the same thing. :)
ReplyDeleteAHAHA! I'm so glad you're back! I've missed your blog sooo much. I'm starting to work out again (2 days in and I'm already too sore to want to continue on) so I feel you. I love the first thing about the DNC awesome....
ReplyDeleteYou are certifiable. And I love you. Good luck.
ReplyDelete