Monday, June 25, 2012

One Letter Short of "Normal"

I've gone throughout my whole life trying to figure out who in my family I am most similar to. For most of this time I've thought I was most like my dad. Which is true, I have a lot in common with my dad (namely my mustache), but probably just as much in common with my mom... it hasn't been until recently that the curtain of ignorance has been lifted and I discovered just how much I'm like my grandma Norma...

Unfortunately it doesn't stop there. In the past couple years the likenesses have reached a concerning level. Each time I talk to her or see pictures its like getting a glimpse into my future.

For example the following photo:



Grandma Norma is wearing a hot pink hoodie. I may or may not already own 3 hot pink hoodies of similar style and although I don't have transition lens glasses, I feel one step closer to my fate.

We also have a similar idea of what is appropriate for the mail. For example... who would send a picture of themselves with an elvis m&m dispenser? well I would ....



... and apparently so would grandma Norma.

My grandma is commendably agile on the internet for her age and I wouldn't be shocked if she started out-blogging me in the upcoming months but her Facebook messages are my favorite. One such post to her nephew (concerning recent tornado warnings): "Everyone is fine. Came close to Derby. We all went to the basement at 9:30 with our basket full. I take all my jewelry, medicine, money, water and Jack. Hope all is well there."

(Incase you were wondering "Jack" is either referring Jack Daniels or my Grandpa, the verdict is still out on that one.)

Even just last week Grandma Norma posted this picture on her wall:



This, I believe, is the most concrete example of how I am/will always be my grandma Norma. She took this photo with the intention of screen printing it on fabric and whip stitching it on my cousins quilt as a joke (because who would want a picture of their grandma and grandpa adoring a purple flower on their quilt besides me?)

It is because of these examples that I know... without a shadow of a doubt, who I most resemble in the family. This isn't a disappointment Grandma Norma is one of my favorite people on the planet... we are both just one letter short of Normal ...(but she really is...)

1 comment:

  1. I love this post, very sweet! Your grandma Norma sounds like someone I'd love to be friends with too! Kasie, you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete