Wednesday, January 15, 2014

90 Day Challenge : Guest Blogger

Britany, army wife, mother of two, diaper changing extraordinaire, and one of my best friends shared her insight with me on how she dropped her weight post-baby :

I've found that the secret to losing weight, is to have a toddler and a baby who both need your constant attention at all times. When you're being pulled in two different directions all the time, you forget to eat, and that seems to be a really great weight loss technique.


But, not really though. Please don't forget to eat things. Maybe go eat something right now while you're reading this.

Seriously though, what has been working for me, is being accountable for everything I eat and everything I do. I use the myfitnesspal app on my phone to track all the calories I eat and all the calories I expend during the day. I have a set calorie goal for each day, and once I hit that number, I'm done eating for the day. And if I go over that number, I either try and work those calories off doing something akin to exercise, or I try harder the next day not to go over. Since my son was born in March, I've lost about 20-25lbs, depending on the week and how much chocolate I've had, and I'm actually pretty proud of that.

Now, you might be thinking that most of that was natural baby weight loss. You know, after the baby pops out you just sort of deflate like a balloon and magically weigh 10lbs less than you did. NOT TRUE people. Not true. Well, maybe it's true for some lucky people and celebrities, but NOT ME.

I remember in 2011 when my daughter was born, everyone kept telling me that the weight just falls off after you have a baby because you're nursing and you can eat quite a bit and not gain weight. So, I took that terrible advice to heart and I ate. And then I ate danishes. And more danishes. And a small country. And more danishes. And for some inexplicable reason, I gained 20lbs AFTER she was born. I remember being a little confused because, hello, I was nursing. But, when you do nothing but sit on your butt all day being a human pillow for your baby, while simultaneously eating everything that has the misfortune to be in your path, you tend to gain weight. Who knew.

So, one day that fateful year, I looked in the mirror and hated who I saw, so I decided to make a change. I started counting calories and running in the morning. It took me almost a year, but I eventually got my weight down to a reasonable poundage, not my goal, but reasonable, and then I got pregnant again.

But, this time I vowed things would be different. I was sure of it. I was pregnant, so I did eat a lot, cause hello, I was pregnant, but I was smarter about it this time. A lot less danishes and a lot more strawberries. That sort of thing. I also tried to be smarter after my son was born when I was hit with that familiar, ravenous, nursing hunger that hits you like a wrecking ball (wink), but I still ended that day with a cheeseburger. Can't win them all. But instead of gaining 20lbs after he was born like I did with my daughter, I was slowly, ever so slowly, losing that weight.

Here's how I did it:
I walk as much and as often as possible
Seriously, if you can walk somewhere instead of drive, do it.
I carried that baby of mine in a babybjorn everywhere I went
this on may not apply to everyone
I meticulously kept track of everything I ate and tried to steer clear of danishes and baked goods.
Lots of fruits and vegetables
Less sugars
I set a deadline for myself so that I had to be accountable for the weight loss

There was a military ball in December that I was determined to lose the weight for, so I did. I went to the gym sporadically, and some days I ate more chocolate than I should have, but for the most part I did okay. I took my kids on walks in the afternoons and I ate lots of turkey wraps and salads. I learned how to cook truly delicious dinners using whole grains and lean meats. And I learned a lot about myself and the person I would like to be.

I hit my goal weight just before the ball, but now I've set a new goal weight for myself and a goal to tone and reshape my flimsy body. I'm going to try harder to actually go to the gym and build up some muscle. Should be interesting.

But believe me. If I can do it, you can do it. I am living proof that someone who HATES to exercise and loves cinnamon rolls can change and can lose significant weight. So, don't give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment